Eat Fit NOLA
In a city like ours, we are surrounded by amazing restaurant choices at every corner who serve some of the best food in the country. Unfortunately, they are not always looking out for our best health interests. For many of us, eating out is a weekly routine. Long hours at work, not enough time to cook a nice healthy meal at home every night of the week. Many restaurants don’t make it super easy for us to make a healthy choice. And let’s face it, unless something is made obvious, are you going to go out of your way to order something “off menu” or cooked differently so you can make a healthier choice? Just imagine the waiter’s face, like…great, here we go, another customer who can’t just order something how it comes on the menu! Well, here’s some great news: you can eat at your favorite restaurants and still eat healthy!
Ochsner Health System’s lovely and talented Molly Kimball, a registered dietician with Ochsner’s Elmwood Fitness Center has teamed up with some great Nola restaurants to offer healthy, nutritious meal choices that promise to excite your taste buds! Appetizers are under 300 calories, entrees under 600 calories, low in fat & sodium, and have no refined carbs. Restaurants all over the city have joined the new program, called Eat Fit Nola, and more are joining every day. Here is a list of the participating restaurants where you can dine comfortably without unbuttoning your pants or irritating the chef with your special orders. They make it easy for you. Just look for the Ochsner seal of approval next to a menu item. Some of the restaurants have entire Eat Fit Nola menus!
by Erica Ramsarran
– 4729 Magazine St. View the Eat Fit Nola menu. Menu items include: Duck Confit Salad– with local arugula, corn, poached pears & whole grain spiced bread; Watermelon & Pistachio Salad– with local arugula, frisée, goat’s milk feta & white balsamic vinaigrette; Grilled Swordfish– with garbanzo bean succotash & roasted red pepper coulis; Beeler’s Pork Chop– with grilled market vegetables.
– 1631 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd. Eat Fit Nola menu items include Baked White Chicken, Marinated Grilled Portabella Plate, Grilled Chicken Po-Boy, Roast Beef Debris Po-Boy (Eat Fit is without bread), Meatloaf (Monday special), Chicken & Andouille Jambalaya (Tuesday special) Sides: Mashed Sweet Potatoes, Smothered Okra w/ Shrimp, Sautéed Veggies, Side Salad, String Beans.
– 1403 Washington Ave. Menu items change daily. Today’s Eat Fit Nola menu consists of a Summer Fruit Gazpacho– with melon, tropical fruit, cucumber, red wine vinegar & mint; Entrée choice is a Griddled Seared Gulf Fish– with crab boiled mirlitons, carrots, celery, mushrooms, corn, garlic, new potatoes with bruléed lemons & brown butter vinaigrette. Dessert is a homemade Sorbet du Jour.
– 6078 Laurel Street. Eat Fit Nola menu items include: Higgins Crabmeat & Avocado Salad– with grape tomatoes, local sprouts & white balsamic vinaigrette; Steak Tartare– with Patois steak sauce, farm egg & toasted wheat bread; Whole Roasted Redfish– with roasted fennel, purple potatoes, wild ramps & a ramp green pesto.
– 2051 Metairie Road, Metairie. Delicious Eat Fit Nola menu items include: Ensalada de Cangrejo– jumbo lump crab, baby arugula, red onion, crispy shallots tossed with blood orange vinaigrette; Atun del Coriandro– coriander seared ahi with avocado tomato relish & chili-cilantro vinaigrette; Carne de Vaca Pimienta– seared beef tossed in peppercorn vinaigrette on sun-dried tomato couscous; Moorish Pork– cured & grilled tenderloin over garlic wilted spinach with horseradish sour cream; Pescado Fresco– pan roasted Gulf fish on creamy roasted cauliflower purée.
– 3016 S Carrollton Ave. Eat Fit Nola menu items include: Fresh Gulf Fish– with toasted almond green beans & cherry tomato vinaigrette; Pepper Lemon Thyme Chicken Breast– with fresh farm vegetables in a white wine sauce; Choose from sides like their House Salad of Covey Rise lettuces & local vegetables with citrus shallot vinaigrette; Roasted Potatoes or Sautéed Spinach.
– 724 Martin Behrman Ave, Metairie. View the Eat Fit Nola menu. Entree choices include Grilled Plates– your choice of shrimp, oysters, catfish, Gulf fish, pork chops, frog’s legs, trout, trout Carrie, crab salad, shrimp salad, chicken salad; all dishes served with steamed veggies and a dinner salad.
– Delivery to your home or office! View the Eat Fit Nola menu.
629 North Highway 190, Covington.
– 2104 Manhattan Blvd., Harvey. View the Eat Fit Nola menu.